Art for Belfort Building Cards

More art is coming in from the very talented Joshua Cappel!  I’m loving the attention to detail in these cards.  I also am really enjoying seeing how an artist who has a lot of experience in illustrating board games has come up with some great graphical representations for various aspects.  For example, the bottom of most cards are not able to be used until a player recruits a Gnome and places the Gnome on that card.  What Josh did here is create that lock symbol, visually indicating that a player cannot use that area – but once a Gnome (now pentagon shaped instead of star shaped, which fits as the board is also pentagon shaped!) is on it then the lock symbol is gone and therefore the ability is unlocked.  Beautiful!

Here is our prototype that Tasty Minstrel played and then the art provided by Josh.  This was the third draft of the cards that we saw from Josh as we had some minor tweaks for the first couple of drafts.  Some improvements were about making the resources more easily identifiable, having some more consistency with layout and some rule clarification.

It’s been an amazing collaboration and one I wasn’t fully expecting.  It’s been wonderful that Tasty Minstrel has kept us in the loop and allowed us to provide feedback throughout this process.  On one hand it’s tremendously exciting to see amazing looking art for a game we designed, and on the other hand we are able to catch anything that actually affects gameplay before it goes to print.  All in all – we are all very excited about these cards!!

Our Prototype Art for the Building Cards in Belfort:

Belfort Prototype cards

Almost Final Art by Josh Cappel for Belfort Building Cards:

Belfort cards


2 thoughts on “Art for Belfort Building Cards

  1. Josh’s work is great – the whole look and feel of the medieval fantasy city comes to life with his choice of textures, colours, and characterizations!

    It’s quite funny to see the A/B of joes vs. pros (i.e. us vs. Josh)

    BUT! you can see where our original ideas were translated and where we were able to make changes based on having different graphics and components to work with (e.g. the locked gnome spots). For example, the dwarfs are square pieces, the elves are circles, and the gnomes are pentagons – guess where they all fit?

    The original build costs are listed down the side individually. The graphics and component shapes/sizes (ours were just 1/2″ cubes or 1/2″ diameter Habla pawns (dwarfs/elves) with the biggest being the stars (gnomes)) The change to the larger components was great graphically but constrained space on the cards themselves. So Josh originally had the component cost + a number next to them. We all found that such a divergence from our originals that we made the change to the circles – the stacked circles worked well space-wise.

    But some people had trouble discriminating what was what as the circles were all the same colours, even if the components in them weren’t. Matt, one of our playtesters, suggested colouring each type of resource slightly differently, making for this, our fairly final product.

    I’m simply blown away by the amount of skill, effort, and collaboration / consensus building that needs to take place once you introduce more than just Jay and I in the mix. Even then, we butt heads every now and then. When Josh and Seth and Michael and Jay and I went at these cards…wow. It wasn’t a clash or anything, but the amount of thinking is staggering!


    To see more of Josh’s artwork on other projects, go to:


  2. Pingback: More Art for Belfort! « Inspiration to Publication

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s